Just A Small Guideline

Feel free to browse the site. Don't be afraid to leave comments, they're supportive.
Please follow me on Twitter @ehldmnt and retweet my posts.

Friday, May 24, 2013

Why Use Dropbox? -- Why I Made the Switch From Mediafire.

There's been a question floating around in my head the past few months about the cloud service that I used. I've been using mediafire for quite some time now, without much thought about using a cloud service. When I first switched to linux, it was only after my Vista Machine had "bluescreened". The second time I had thought to use a different cloud service was when media fire complained of the size of the files that I was storing. The third time was on my brand new Ubuntu machine, when I screwed myself over trying to install Arch with only basic command line tools under my belt.

Now, I'm switching harddrives and I don't want to spend 25 dollars, hoping and waiting for my friend down the street to get it done within this month...

So I tried dropbox and what I've discovered is that it is extremely fast, and efficient. And here's why.

  • When you use dropbox, no matter where you are or what device you're using with it, all of your information is instantly shared between devices. 
  • Drop box can be set up to start syncing right when your computer starts up, or only when your computer is loading. 
  • Drop box simplified my file management, and made it so that in order to send a picture from my iphone to my laptop, I didn't have to email myself.
  • Drop box begins with 2G free, but for only 9 dollars a month, will boost that to a whopping 100Gs. That's a deal, considering my flashdrive costs 30 dollars for 16Gs [and has a higher chance of being destroyed]
  • My worries and my fear of a loss of data have actually been minimalized, I'm confident in the dropbox servers.
  • I can program Dropbox to sync specific folders as well.

Follow me on Twitter @ehldmnt

No comments: