Just A Small Guideline

Feel free to browse the site. Don't be afraid to leave comments, they're supportive.
Please follow me on Twitter @ehldmnt and retweet my posts.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Programming in C.

As of recent, I've decided that I would take the dive of going right into C programming. It isn't that I'm giving up on Python, that couldn't be far from the truth, it's that I feel that I would be able to understand much more in the software world, knowing C, before I would attempt to conquer using Python alone. I feel there is a gap in my knowledge, in other words, that can only be filled by learning C and perhaps later C++.

C is a bit different than what I'm used to, but I always get excited when I learn new Syntax. For a person who doesn't like change, this might be a bit of a struggle at first, but if you sit down a bit and calmly go over a tutorial or two online, then you should have no problem getting right into the groove of it all.

Pros:

C is incredibly fast. It tends to be speedier than Python, I believe, when it is executed. And that is an incredible bonus, over most, if not all, programming languages. 

C has a lot to offer. It seems to be incredibly modular.Looking at most standard C programs online, a C program doesn't come with builtins like Python does without calling "#include <stdio.h>", and while that may seem like a bit of an issue, it can actually be a plus when the program you're writing does not require certain builtins that Python comes preinstalled.

Cons:

C can be a bit difficult to understand. The learning curve for learning how to program in C verses how to program in Python is a bit steep especially if you're a beginner. I'll say that because I learned to program in Python, and because I took the time to research specific terms, as well as reading my Python Programming book, that I understood specific terms used while studying C. Searching the internet for these terms mentioned will help even the newbie understand some of even the most diverse jargon, though the reality is, does one have the time or want to apply the effort? Sure, it'll help in the long run, but humans can be impatient creatures. C is now, considered a Low-Level Programming language, though at one point it was considered otherwise.

C programs can become quite massive. It's true that takes about ten lines of Bash to program something that would need ten thousand lines of C. If you're one to get lost inside of your projects, and eventually wander out after haplessly searching for the path, you're not so fortunate to get hooked on C programming. There's nothing wrong with hard work and effort, but this is not so much a language for convenience.

C is a complied programming language. I'm sure some will come at me with daggers waving about how this should not be on the cons list, but hear me out. The write, compile, test/run process can be cumbersome to some, while to others it could be considered "a life saver" because, after all, if there is an error in your code, the compiler catches it.

No comments: